Thursday, March 17, 2011

Busy Busy Beaver

Today I feel like I ran a marathon!!!  If you can consider having to run to the grocery store (4 times!!!) making two different types of dessert, dinner, starting some sewing projects, enjoying the 65 degree weather and getting snapshots of my lil lass and lads decked out in their Irish glory a marathon.  Maybe a relay...but I didn't pass the baton off.  Oh well.  I'm exhausted!  So I'll post a few pics and links then call it a night!!

We started off the day by getting ingredients for a Guinness chocolate cake and the corned beef and cabbage and the shirts I needed to make some spring tie tees I'm making.  I got to the car and realized I didn't get potatoes OR cabbage.  {Ha!}   So I ran back in to get those two things and saw there was a huge display of Smithwicks and walked out with a 12 pack in tow.  {Yes!!!}

After getting the kids in their green, I sent Briana off to school and Brayden and I started in on our rainbow cupcakes and as I dropped the whole egg (shell and all) let out a little mutter and ran back to the store.  When we got home we started again, this time I was more aware of what I was doing and they turned out beautifully!  Like little clouds of homemade butter cream frosting with rainbows beaming out of them!  Except after indulging in one we found there was no pot of gold.  Maybe next year. 






Then I started the Guinness chocolate cake.  I had to go back to the store when I realized I ran out of powdered sugar.

{sigh}

First of all, the smell was amazing, while melting Guinness with cocoa powder and butter!!  And it was really easy to make too.  I did substitute low fat yogurt for the sour cream though.  And when it came time to frost (to make it appear like a pint of Guinness) I realized I hadn't purchased enough cream cheese, but I was NOT about to run back out, so I just adjusted the recipe a bit.  It wasn't as sweet I think as it would have been, but that works well for me!  I used one block of cream cheese, an eight oz container of whipping cream-whipped and one cup powdered sugar. 



All in all, we had a great day!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment