Friday, March 4, 2011

My First Sewing Project

My first sewing project almost threw me in the loony bin. 

Seriously.

I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. 

We had just moved our family into my Grandma's house.

I was 8 1/2 months pregnant!!!

So you already know I'm crazy.  I really wanted her costume to look like 'Bo Peep', the one from Toy Story.  All the costumes I had seen looked cheap and poorly put together, and that would just not do!

I started by searching patterns.  I would find one that had a cute top, but not skirt, and vice verse.  But nothing exact.  So I had what I thought was a great idea...  I would buy what I wanted and just cut the pieces I liked together!  Wow.  Did I mention this was my FIRST sewing project? 

I sure did bite off more than I could chew.

Luckily, living with my parents gave me a few perks. 

I could run to the store alone and get the materials I needed without my kids bugging me.  Bust most of all, my mom knows her way around a sewing machine, so I had help!  I don't think the dress would have had a zipper if I didn't have my mom here!

I'm happy I started it 3 weeks before Halloween, because I needed the time to complete it.  Even though it was difficult, mostly because I had never read a pattern, OR used a sewing machine before, it was worth it! 

Here are the pics!





I made the skirt, the top, the bloomers and the staff...
I did not make the bonnet, I knew that would be too much for me to take on.  I don't know why I stopped THERE.  ha! 

And of course I waited too long to buy a Shepard's staff from the Halloween store, so I bought a Christmas decoration *because in the middle of October ALL the decorations are already out*.  I bought a candy cane, wrapped it in padding, then again wrapped it in blue ribbon.  It was cheap and cute enough for a 5/6 year old! 

So as you can see, I did not throw my sewing machine against the wall, or out the window, like I had sworn I would do so many times, and I continue to sew.  And love it.  Mostly.


No comments:

Post a Comment