Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm Gonna Getcha!

It's time for leprechaun traps!!  Hope everyone got theirs out today for those little mischievous fella's! 

Briana is at such a fun age right now.  Her teacher wasn't able to have the kids do their own traps at school this year, but she did say if we made our own, to bring it in for 'show and tell' today. 

Of course I had forgotten about the project until this morning at about 9am. 

So off to Michael's I went, hoping to score some good deals but hoping more to find what I needed on such short notice!!

So here is what I came up with.  Green felt.  Green clear shamrocks.  An Irish themed floral piece.  Some Ferrero Rocher candies.  Some Irish ribbon. 

I already had a can and the ladder, so I had something to go off of!


So the theme of this years Leprechaun trap is a HUGE Leprechaun hat!  Since we know how those silly guys like to have the biggest and best stuff out there, we thought "how tempting would a HUGE hat be!??"  (Especially with a huge golden nugget of Ferrer Rocher on top!)

To assemble the hat we used all the items mentioned above and a hot glue gun.  Unfortunately I forgot to get black and yellow construction paper so i cut up an old black sock (it was clean!!) and the buckle was white construction paper colored in with a yellow marker.

First I cut out all the shapes needed from the felt...a large circle for the brim, a small circle with a notch, and the rectangle for the main part of the hat.  And then as each was cut I glued them onto the can.  To cut the small circle with the notch, I used the lid from the can so it was the correct size.  The notch is so that you can glue it to the can, but not all the way around.  This is how you trap your Leprechaun!  It's a false floor!


Then I added the rest of the decorations and glued the ladder onto the whole thing.  Let's not chide ourselves, my daughter is 6, and rides the bus.  If I didn't glue it on, it would have been lost!

And apparently her teacher liked hers so much, she asked her to keep it in the classroom overnight to see if they could catch their Leprechaun.  I was a little disappointed because now I can't see her bubble with excitement as she peers into the can to see if her tiny man is hiding in there... 

But she was VERY proud of her handy work...



Here is the finished result...




Did I mention she wanted to wear her St Patrick's day
 dress today instead of tomorrow?  Well, I had picked up a men's tee shirt at Old Navy on sale and was planning on making her a dress out of it for the St Patrick's day event at church, but she begged me to finish it this morning before school.  So after we made the Leprechaun hat I ran down to the sewing machine and threw it together. 

Of course I couldn't stop there!  She accidentally broke the headband I purchased from etsy last week, so I took the left over ribbon from the hat, sewed in some elastic, and snipped off the bow from the ruined headband, and hot glued it into the new one.  I felt like super woman!



I hope you all catch yourselves a wee little Leprechaun and have a happy and safe St Patrick's day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment