Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Vanity

When I was young, my mom handed down her vanity (from when she was young) to me.  When I moved out it became my sister's.  With three owners came three different paint finishes! 

While cleaning out the basement before moving in to my grandmothers house, we found the vanity.  It is perfect for Briana's room!  But the color is just not right.  It had been painted a midnight blue for my sister Cathy a few years back.  I looked on Pinterest to see what I could find and I love this antique look!



So I looked at the paint selection we had at home and found a light blue and white available!!  I only wish I had taken out my dad's power sander because I think I didn't distress it enough!!  Briana loves it, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. 

Start to finish was a whole day's worth of work.  Trying to paint and entertain a 6 year old, 4 year old and 9 month old is crazy.  And by crazy I mean one of the dumbest things I've tried to take on by myself.  Charlie nearly ended up in the paint can a few times...and once when I tried to divert him from the can I accidentally got his arm with the paint brush.  So it took several hours, where as I'm sure if I had bothered to get a babysitter it would have taken only 2 or 3.  Including time for the layers of paint to dry.  Yes, I said layers.  Unfortunately I grabbed the "bone white" instead of pure white and had to do the base all over again.  In the long run it turned out okay, because while distressing the wood, it showed the white, bone and midnight blue.  Which actually looks pretty cool!

This picture shows the beginning, middle and finished result...


I've got a close up of the distressed look on the drawer...



I'm in the market for some cute drawer knobs if anyone has a vendor they prefer... let me know! 

This is the vanity set up in her room.  It needs a mirror and drawer knobs and a cute seat cushion for the chair, but I'm sure I can find some fabric to go perfect with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment