Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween's a Hoot

Have you heard?  Owls are "IN" right now. 

My seven year old is kind of obsessed.

Her idea of a perfect costume was to be a blue owl with white feathers.  I searched {Pinterest} and found a few examples that were really adorable!  I took all that inspiration and made her costume.  It is finally finished!  I started with an old shirt that she won't wear anymore and stitched lines of the "feathers" I had cut out from coordinating fabrics.  I did this on the entire front and back.  {WOW} Then we wanted to add wings!  I took panels of felt and measured how much I would need (if she were to raise her hand in school for example) and intended on sewing them to the shirt she will wear under the costume.  However, when she heard this idea, and reacted, I decided it wasn't worth the drama!  We will be safety pinning the wings on this Monday.  {she wins yet again}  Originally I was going to make the mask from a technique found {yes, again on Pintrest} using a fabric doily and fabric stiffener, however, when I found a doily at the fabric store, I decided NOT to spend the $9 on it.  The plastic masks and feathers were very conveniently next to the doily's and together only cost $2.50, so voila, a new idea was born.  I chose white feathers and clear jewels to decorate.

This year's costume is no where near as elaborate as last year's, but I think it is JUST as cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment